Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Post- Catching Fire Thoughts

THE ODDS ARE NEVER IN OUR FAVOR.

I just got home from watching Catching Fire, and wow... everyone really outdid themselves this time. How do I even begin to explain this? The movie was perfect, A++, would watch again, wouldn't change a thing. Fans will definitely not be disappointed. This movie got everything right. It was so good that it gave me the urge to reread the entire series, and I'm not the only one who's planning to.

All key events were present. The movie stayed very, very true to the book right up to the dialogue. I have to say, I wasn't very excited to watch it. The first movie was alright, but it wasn't spectacular. This one was at a whole new level. What I loved the most was the how much attention they paid to including little things from the book- tiny details that were hard to translate from text to action. An example of this would be when Peeta hits the force field and almost dies. Katniss panics. Then, we get a subtle close-up of Finnick as he watches her, and only those who've read the books will understand what he's thinking of at that moment. Another one is Prim. She seems more mature somehow... definitely less fragile. We realize that she isn't the little kid we saw in the first movie anymore.

The actors were superb. The scenery and sets were magnificent. The costumes were beautiful. The story and dialogue flowed smoothly. All of these little bits fell into place and made for a compelling movie.

Now, maybe it's because I used to be emotionally invested in the book series, but I almost cried over some of the more dramatic scenes. There were times I had to look away from the screen because they were too overwhelming and I was in danger of bursting into tears (*cough* Rue *cough*). My friends cried a lot of times. This movie just gave me so many feels.

Finnick came as the best surprise to me. I was kind of disappointed the first time I saw a promotional picture of him. The actor just didn't look the part, and I admit, he didn't look hot enough. But like most actors, I warmed up to him and while I'm not completely sold yet, I'm excited to see Finnick's sensitive and darker side in Mockingjay.

Overall, the movie was awesome. Like, mindbogglingly I-want-to-watch-it-again-as-soon-as-possible-y so. I won't be talking about anything but Catching Fire for the rest of the week and- who knows- the month. I'll be rereading the books as soon as I can too, and buy myself a Mockingjay pin while I'm at it.

Kudos to everyone who helped make this story come to life. They deserve all the awards.

Parts that deserve special mention:

  • All of Johanna Mason's scenes. That girl is f***ing awesome.
  • Katniss's speech for Rue.  Too many feels. :(
  • Finnick saving Peeta's life.
  • Caesar Flickerman. Creepy smile indeed.
  • All of Katniss's dresses and costumes because Cinna.
  • Effie Trinket at the reaping.
  • Finnick's speech because it was real and you know it.
  • I'll stop here because I might add every single scene in the movie.
xoxo
Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment