Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Flightless Bird


This song has been stuck in my head all week. Something about it screams simplicity and romance, even though I don't understand the lyrics too well. It's a beautiful minimalist piece, and I don't know how to describe the mood it exudes-- perhaps desperation and remorse, but also wistfulness and longing.

When I listen to it, a particular image flows into my mind- an adolescent boy and girl slow-dancing as though they are the only ones in the room. Young love at its finest. At which point does the platonic love between these two individuals evolve into romance? At which point does the nature of their friendship shift? The only thing we can be sure of is that when they look into each other's eyes, when they talk about pointless things and laugh, they have never experienced anything this way before. No sight has ever been so beautiful. No joke has ever been so hilarious. The thoughts and emotions triggered by the little smiles and touches are novel, pure, and sublime.

Edit: I just saw the Twilight scene... oh gosh. This was totally not supposed to sound like a Twilight post or anything... I haven't even watched the movies. But that last paragraph.. I swear the context is different. I didn't know Twilight had a slow-dancing scene while the song played. I was thinking of something else. Sigh...
xoxo
Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment