Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"Nasty Habits" Review


I just finished watching Once Upon a Time 3x04 "Nasty Habits" after downloading the video file for eleven hours (yes, my internet connection speed can get crappy at times) only to find out that it was infected and had gotten deleted by my antivirus. I settled on streaming the video online, and it took a while for my internet speed to pick up so I had to wait some more. Needless to say, by the time I actually got to watch it, I was in need of a good, satisfactory episode.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert at reviewing films or shows; this is actually my first time doing something like this. This isn't going to be a formal review; it's an assessment from someone who enjoys watching the show. Okay. Here I go.

Nasty Habits
While I enjoyed last week's episode (Quite a Common Fairy) more, this one wasn't too far behind. It was much less eventful. I thought that the flashback was very simple compared to what the show usually offers, but I'll take it. Rumpelstiltskin and Baelfire-centric episodes are always nice to watch (or maybe just Rumple-centric episodes in general). It wasn't too thrilling, plot wise, but an episode with character development as the focus as opposed to a plot-driven one is refreshing. Rumplestiltskin's house and the village looked visually appealing. I wish they made the boys-dancing-around-the-fire scenes a bit more flashy, because it really just looked like a bunch of people dancing around a bonfire, and not euphoric boys possessed by the pipe magic which I would've enjoyed more.

Overall, this feels more like a filler episode meant to set the stage for next week's 'Good Form'.

Okay. Now I'll proceed to write about what I thought of the individual characters. (This is going to be a lot less formal).


Emma
  • Props to Jennifer Morrison for her incredible acting skills.
  • She's starting to trust Hook more. Yay!
  • It's evident that she's still crazy for Neal.
  • Whether she's willing to allow him to hurt her again is a different thing, though.
Hook
  • Notice how he watches Emma 99% of the time?
  • He cared deeply for Baelfire, but I don't know how he can redeem himself in Bael's eyes after giving him up to the Lost Boys.
  • And now he's about to steal another woman Bael loves. Tsk.
  • Listen to his tone or the way he speaks. If you were to compare it to that of a few episodes ago, you'll notice how much softer it's gotten. I wonder why... *cough* Emma *cough*
  • He genuinely cares for Charming and his family. Awww.
  • I wish they gave him more innuendos, though. Hook's the only one who can pull them off. (Okay, maybe Regina can too).
Neal/Baelfire
  • A lot of things I liked about him in this episode.
  • A lot of stuff I disliked, too.
  • Was I the only one who laughed out loud when he said 'It's Neal!'
  • Neverland!Neal is pretty badass.
  • I wanted to punch him in the face for not believing in Rumpel (although you can hardly blame him).
  • Well, he served the price for that.
Rumpelstiltskin
  • His eye makeup (or whatever it is) is nice, even if I don't know what it was for.
  • I love how his conscience takes the form of Belle.
  • I'M HERE FOR YOU RUMPEL, EVEN IF YOUR SON DOESN'T BELIEVE YOU. DON'T LET YOUR BAD SIDE OVERPOWER YOUR GOOD. PLEASE.
  • Too late.
Peter Pan
  • I thought this show had enough hot bad guys already. I guess not. hihihi.
  • Those eyebrows are wonderful.
  • Unpopular opinion: I don't think they made Pan dark enough. I wanted him to be more evil, like flashback Rumpelstiltskin who talks and moves like a child most of the time but gets really serious and scary when he wants to. This Pan is serious most of the time.
  • Semi-shipping Pan x Henry. Tell me I'm not the only one.
Henry
  • I can't believe he got rescued by his dad and granddad only to be taken back by Pan's camp all while he was asleep.
  • It just occurred to me, but between 3x03 and 3x04, he hasn't been trying to escape from Pan. He just sits on the ground and stares into space, which is sad if you ask me. Storybrooke Henry would've tried to come up with an escape plan at least.
  • Well, him going over to Pan's side wasn't much of a surprise. You can't stop true love!
Charming
  • A lot of people are annoyed because he isn't telling his family, but I actually understand his intentions.
  • This is the first time I actually enjoyed Charming's character since the first season.
  • But we all know he isn't really going to die. The show isn't going to do something like that.
Snow
  • 'If you die, I would not be able to move on.' I really like that line.
Regina
  • She only has a few lines, but they always end up being the best and most memorable ones.
  • Sassy Regina is the best.

And that's it. I don't really know if I did this correctly. Cheers, anyway. I can't wait for next week's episode!

XOXO
Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment